Tension Only Brace
The RSFJ-Tbrace is a brace connection that is
designed to work in tension only. The Tbrace offers
re centering and does NOT require post event
maintenance making it the ideal simple long-term
It needs to be installed in pairs allowing resistance in
either direction. It is installed with a slender bar which
needs to be capacity designed. All the ductility is in the
- /No post event maintenance: Reduced costs when considering earthquake sequences
- /Scalability: Can be installed in parallel to increase the capacity
- /Arrives on site ready for install (no secondary steps required)
- /Easy installation
New and retrofit projects, and can be implemented to all types of buildings;
steel, timber, concrete, or a hybrid of any.
- /Multi story applications
- /Portal frames
- /Industrial pallet racks
The dimensions of the RSFJ products mostly depend on the
demand deflection. To support the application of RSFJs in a
wide range of brace sizes, the RSFJ products are provided in 2
different ranges of deflections: up to 40mm, and 40 to 80mm.
The following table shows the approximate dimensions of RSFJ
See the RSFJ Structual Modelling Guide
- /Products could be applied as multiple joints in a modular pattern to achieve larger capacities. Customised products can also be supplied, satisfying any targeted capacity and deflection.
- /If needed, joints could be designed to provide deflection with self-centring beyond Δult (as a secondary fuse) with Δmax = min(40/80mm; and 2Δult) and Fmax = 1.25Fult.
- /Δslip (comparable to SLS) is kept to be less than 1mm, excluding the deflection resulting from the attachments such as pins, brackets and anchor bolts.
- /The hystersis damping ratio ranges from 10% to 20%. Please follow the RSFJ Structural Modelling guide for the recommended design procedure.